Nawras doubles 3G speed in Muscat
Muscat, January 12, 2013
Nawras, a leading telecom services provider in Oman and a Qtel Group company, has announced the completion of the next stage of network turbocharging in the Sultanate.
After significant testing, the upgrade has already been completed in Al Bustan, Muttrah, Wadi Kabir, Wattaya, Ruwi, Darsait, Qurm, Medinat Al Ilam, Ministries District, Al Khuwair, Ghubra, Ghala, Seeb, Mawaleh, Al Hail, Al Khoudh, SQU, Al Rusayl, and new areas are being completed each week, said a statement from Nawras.
Nawras has upgraded the network, increased 3G+ capacity, offering doubled speeds and greater coverage. The upgraded network sends more broadband data across a much wider spectrum and faster to give a richer experience and higher quality service for all customers in these areas, the statement added.
Commenting on the success, CEO Ross Cormack said, “We are very grateful to the Telecommunications Regulatory Authority for providing this extra frequency and for their continued support and assistance which enables us to take the next step in our Turbocharging programme."
According to him, turbocharging the network is a technological revolution for broadband and brings the world’s cutting edge communications technology to our customers in Oman.
"Once the programme is complete, Nawras customers will receive a superfast broadband internet service with wider coverage which will reach deeper into homes, offices and shopping malls to deliver a rewarding customer experience across the Sultanate. The upgradegoes hand in hand with the upcoming introduction of the 4G LTE technology," he noted.
Chief technology officer Wolfgang Wemhoff said Nawras was future proofing its network with a firm commitment to performance and reliability.
"This rollout is being implemented in phases as we extend our 3G+ coverage to reach the maximum number of people wherever they live and work across Oman. We are also preparing to launch our exciting 4G LTE services, which will start after extensive testing has been completed," he added.-TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum
- Mobily provides 4G LTE international roaming
- Viva Kuwait, Huawei to set up innovation centre
- Etisalat, Airtel deal to boost network services
- Batelco offers 4G LTE backup solution