Microsoft to launch 11th UAE Imagine Cup
Dubai, January 10, 2013
Microsoft has announced the launch of the 11th UAE Imagine Cup, one of the leading student technology competitions, which give students an opportunity to bring their technology ideas to life with Microsoft resources and support.
The competition is open to students between the age of 16 years and 26 years, empowering them to use their creative and technical abilities to make a positive impact on society, a statement from the company said.
The winning team in the UAE finals will participate in the Imagine Cup worldwide finals which will be held in St Petersburg, Russia in July.
“Microsoft firmly believes in the ability of technology to make a difference to our world. Combining technology with the innovation and creativity of young people around the globe is a powerful force for change that we aim to tap into with the Imagine Cup,” said Samer Abu Ltaif, general manager of Microsoft Gulf.
“The UAE round of this competition will give students a chance to take their ideas to a global forum and an audience of the best young programmers, technologists and designers in the world. We also hope that the Imagine Cup will continue to inspire the next generation of technology and business innovators in the UAE and region.”
“Technology and innovation impacts the aviation and travel industries each and every day, driving forward advancement from aircraft design to online services to scanners at airports. Across the Emirates Group we are focused on leveraging technology to sustain, improve and enhance travel and we look forward to seeing the creative ideas the students develop to meet the needs of travellers everywhere,” said Neetan Chopra, Emirates divisional vice president of IT strategy and architecture.
“We chose to sponsor the innovation category of the Imagine Cup as it represents one of few platforms that provide students a chance to showcase their technology innovation and to set themselves apart as the next generation of technology leaders in UAE.”
As sponsor for the innovation category of the Imagine Cup in the UAE, Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, and Qatar, the Emirates Group will award the winning students from each country in this category with a special prize of a complimentary trip on the airline.
The Imagine Cup competition in the UAE will be hosted by Emirates at their Dubai headquarters on March 28; providing the students the opportunity to experience the innovation of the group firsthand, the statement said. – TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum
- Mobily provides 4G LTE international roaming
- Viva Kuwait, Huawei to set up innovation centre
- Etisalat, Airtel deal to boost network services
- Batelco offers 4G LTE backup solution
- Arbor unveils ‘Peakflow’ solution
- Etisalat launches enterprise mobility services
- STC launches advanced 4G network
- Dubai to host ITU global summit