Bahrain telecom sector posts solid growth
Manama, December 28, 2012
Bahrain's latest telecom sector indicators have shown excellent growth despite the global economic downturn, said a report in the Gulf Daily News, our sister publication.
The telecom sector is a significant factor contributing to Bahrain's national wealth and represents four per cent of Bahrain's 2011 gross domestic product, the report said citing the Telecommunications Regulatory Authority's (TRA) seventh market indicators data.
The mobile services contributed almost half of the revenues, contributing 46 per cent to the retail sector, the report stated.
According to TRA, the international calls comprised 22 per cent, leased lines 15 per cent, Internet 12 per cent and fixed telephony 5 per cent of the total revenues.
There are now approximately 2,700 direct employees, showing a 50 per cent increase in employment since the liberalisation of the telecoms market in 2003, said Minister of State for Telecommunications Affairs Shaikh Fawaz bin Mohammed Al Khalifa.
"My goal for 2013 is to reinforce our telecoms sector through the TRA, to the benefit of the consumers and Bahrain's economic outlook," he said.
"Healthy competition will ensure that we offer the latest technology and attractive retail packages and price points," he added.
The ministry is working to provide necessary public policies to enhance the communications sector, added Shaikh Fawaz. The latest report contains market indicators for last year until the second quarter of this year.-TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Aveva software for engineering plant design
- Nawras to upgrade VSat services across Oman
- Mobily, Huawei sign smart network contract
- Etisalat, Tata launch video connect service
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- 4-pillar approach for telecom operators to boost growth
- Dubai mobile emissions below global standards
- Nawras signs capacity contract with SES
- Etisalat showcases satellite solutions at Cabsat
- Batelco launches 4G LTE roaming
- Gulf Air clinches best innovation award
- Viva inks Pepsi partnership deal
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion
- Cyber threats focus of Bahrain security talks
- Bahrain tech expo to honour innovators
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility