Telecom Egypt to get mobile licence by mid-2013
Cairo, December 27, 2012
Egypt will grant Telecom Egypt a license by mid-2013 to provide mobile services and will later let mobile companies offer fixed-lined services using Telecom Egypt's infrastructure, the industry regulator said.
Landline monopoly Telecom Egypt, 80 per cent owned by the state, has been relying on its data business to boost revenue.
"Telecom Egypt will be granted the right to offer mobile telephone services," Amr Badawy, the executive chairman of Egypt's telecom regulator, said in a statement on Wednesday, adding that the offer would be "executed by mid-2013".
"Mobile companies will also be given the right to get a license to offer fixed-lined services using the infrastructure of Telecom Egypt," he added without giving a timeframe.
Egypt has three mobile operators: Vodafone Egypt, Mobinil, which is controlled by France Telecom, and Dubai-based Etisalat.
Telecom Egypt chief executive Mohamed El-Nawawy told Reuters last month that it was in advanced talks with the government on a deal that would allow it to offer mobile services and added the company could look to set up its own independent network.
The company last month said third-quarter revenue had risen 6 per cent to 2.48 billion Egyptian pounds ($401.7 million), against a Reuters forecast for 2.38 billion. Its Ebitda margin of 36.8 per cent was below a Reuters forecast for 41 per cent.
The chairman and chief executive of France Telecom, Stéphane Richard, said last month Egypt's telecoms sector was crowded and could not absorb another player, adding that he was seeking to expand Mobinil services and hoped to get a 4G license soon. – Reuters
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum
- Mobily provides 4G LTE international roaming
- Viva Kuwait, Huawei to set up innovation centre
- Etisalat, Airtel deal to boost network services
- Batelco offers 4G LTE backup solution
- Arbor unveils ‘Peakflow’ solution
- Etisalat launches enterprise mobility services
- STC launches advanced 4G network