Thuraya to offer mobile satellite services in Japan
Dubai, December 17, 2012
Thuraya Telecom, a top mobile satellite services operator and Softbank Mobile, a telecom leader in Japan have signed an agreement to bring mobile satellite communication services for Japanese subscribers across Thuraya’s satellite network.
SoftBank Mobile has applied and successfully received approval from the Japanese regulator to provide Thuraya’s satellite network services in Japan.
Commencing as from February 2013, the Thuraya’s handsets and airtime services will be sold to customers from Softbank Mobile’s distribution channels.
As part of the agreement, the two companies will collaborate together to design a new version of Thuraya’s handset with special features. This new edition of the Thuraya handset will be available exclusively for sale from SoftBank Mobile.
Thuraya’s services are available to SoftBank users venturing outside of terrestrial networks, or in areas where those networks are either unavailable or are vulnerable to natural disasters.
Media, energy, government, and all other types of enterprises, as well as individual consumers will be able to avail themselves of Thuraya’s services and a multitude of solutions to enable them to communicate from anywhere in Japan and the maritime areas surrounding it, and at any time, a statement said. – TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum
- Mobily provides 4G LTE international roaming
- Viva Kuwait, Huawei to set up innovation centre
- Etisalat, Airtel deal to boost network services
- Batelco offers 4G LTE backup solution
- Arbor unveils ‘Peakflow’ solution
- Etisalat launches enterprise mobility services
- STC launches advanced 4G network
- Dubai to host ITU global summit