Image credit: Scott Prokop / Shutterstock.com
1,500 experts for Abu Dhabi GIS summit
Abu Dhabi, December 9, 2012
Over 1,500 participants from around the region will share information on geographic information system (GIS) implementation and the potential of geospatial technologies at an upcoming summit in Abu Dhabi.
The three-day Esri Middle East and Africa User Conference (MEAUC) is opening tomorrow (December 10) at the Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Centre.
The MEA region’s biggest GIS event is being co-organised by the Abu Dhabi Systems and Information Centre (Adsic), the emirate’s ICT authority.
The conference will be a platform for showcasing Abu Dhabi’s advanced geospatial capabilities and experiences and how its spatial data infrastructure is using geospatial technology to modernize government services.
Adsic has been helping mold Abu Dhabi into one of the world’s top governments via strategic geospatial initiatives such as the Abu Dhabi Spatial Data Infrastructure (AD-SDI), a unique program that shares spatial information among various government and private stakeholders.
Adsic recently conducted a workshop to inform AD-SDI stakeholders and other important parties about the significance of the upcoming conference and prepare them for the full event agenda.
During the workshop, participants also joined the world in celebrating GIS Day – commemorated on November 14th of each year. The AD-SDI community is expected to play a huge role in the Esri forum’s success.
Abu Dhabi will also be celebrating the fifth anniversary of AD-SDI during the conference, in the presence of the prominent figures from Abu Dhabi’s government, business and educational sectors and the various beneficiaries of spatial services that will be attending the event.
“Abu Dhabi takes great pride in its successful efforts to integrate strategic geospatial technologies into its development plans over the past five years. The upcoming Esri MEA User Conference provides an ideal platform for the emirate to take stock of the latest GIS technologies and expertise while showcasing its achievements in the field and unveiling its ambitious goals moving forward,” said Rashed Lahej Al Mansoori, director general, Adsic.
“We will have an Abu Dhabi Pavilion onsite that will reveal the best-of-breed GIS applications used by 56 member entities of the AD-SDI Community. More importantly, the event will strengthen our partnership with Esri and thus provide us with access to the best geospatial solutions in the market to support the growth of AD-SDI.”
Geographic information systems (GIS) have emerged as one of the most potent development and planning tools for modern governance. Esri has been a driving force in enabling governments and companies to gain a deeper understanding of their surrounding geography and its impact on business and society.
Its upcoming MEA conference will cast the spotlight on geospatial work and relevant opportunities around the MEA region and how Esri’s expertise can help bolster the local and regional geospatial domains. – TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum
- Mobily provides 4G LTE international roaming
- Viva Kuwait, Huawei to set up innovation centre
- Etisalat, Airtel deal to boost network services
- Batelco offers 4G LTE backup solution
- Arbor unveils ‘Peakflow’ solution
- Etisalat launches enterprise mobility services
- STC launches advanced 4G network