Batelco deal good for CWC: Analyst
Dubai, December 3, 2012
Bahrain-based Batelco's move to buy Cable & Wireless Communications' (CWC) assets in Monaco and some islands in a deal worth up to $1 billion will allow CWC to cut debt and focus on a smaller geographical area.
"We believe this is a good deal for CWC," Espírito Santo Investment Bank wrote in a research note, claiming it provided a 40 percent premium to current valuations.
"A deal like this has been perceived as difficult to execute due to the geographic spread of the assets. We are now more confident in management's ability to execute deals at good multiples."
CWC's shares were up 4.9 percent at 1135 GMT, after hitting a two-week high, while Batelco ended unchanged in Bahrain.
In a statement, CWC said the Batelco deal would cut its debt to $937 million. The operator is also in talks to sell a majority stake in Macau's largest telecom group.
"Our strategy to expand in Central America and the Caribbean is predicated on really moving out of all aspect of the eastern part of our business, so Monaco and the Islands and Macau," said CWC finance director Tim Pennington.
Batelco, which has little debt, has reported falling profit in nine of the past 10 quarters and this slump has led it to expand abroad, although its moves had been limited to Middle Eastern countries like Jordan, Yemen, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait.
"Batelco's revenues and earnings are going down and the company is looking at cost reduction and restructuring to boost its margins," said a Middle East telecom analyst.
"Batelco wanted to buy brownfield operations (established businesses), it didn't want new licences, and there aren't many available at the $1 billion ticket range."
Batelco's home revenue may be in decline - it fell 12 percent in the nine months to Sept 30, accounting for 60 percent of group earnings - but it is buying a CWC division facing similar difficulties, the analyst said.
Monaco and Islands had revenue of $586 million in the year ending March 31, down from $605 million a year earlier. Earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation (EBITDA) fell over the same period to $186 million from $207 million.
CWC's effective stake in its Monaco and Islands division is about 65 percent, the Middle East telecoms analyst said, meaning Batelco will be working with local shareholders in the various units. - Reuters
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Nawras signs capacity contract with SES
- Etisalat showcases satellite solutions at Cabsat
- Batelco launches 4G LTE roaming
- Gulf Air clinches best innovation award
- Viva inks Pepsi partnership deal
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion
- Cyber threats focus of Bahrain security talks
- Bahrain tech expo to honour innovators
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals