GBI wins Europe’s major technology award
Doha, November 27, 2012
Gulf Bridge International (GBI), a leading fiber optic technologies company, has been recognized in this year’s Capacity Europe Awards as the world’s best Niche/New Player.
The awards which were hosted in Amsterdam, Netherlands, recognise leading telecommunications companies from across the globe.
“By winning this prestigious industry award, the CEO and the team at GBI have shown that they have delivered on their commitment, to our investors, to build a state of the art network in the Gulf region and beyond,” said GBI Chairman Rashid Al Naimi.
“This award pays tribute to GBI’s efforts in 2012 to extend its network, which go above and beyond its original vision to build a cable connecting all the Gulf nations,” said Alex Hawkes, editor of Capacity Magazine.
“The judging panel was highly impressed with the company’s efforts to offer an activated 100G line interface on parts of its subsea cable network, as well as its plans to extend to Africa. I would like to congratulate GBI for winning the Capacity award for best niche/new player.”
“We are truly humbled to receive this recognition, culminating four years of work bringing the Middle East’s highest capacity fiber optic network to life,” said Ahmed Mekky, board member and CEO of GBI.
“Communication is a powerful tool underpinning intellectual and economic growth. Beyond our work, this level of recognition reflects the true significance of enhanced connectivity to a region containing one sixth of the world’s population.”
Activated in February, GBI offers additional much-needed capacity on the first Gulf network ever built in a ring configuration, with routing onwards to Europe, Africa and Asia.
As the region’s first carrier-neutral operator, this secure capacity is available to any operator or ISP, enabling new operators to more easily break into the market, and existing operators to diversify their routing. – TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion
- Cyber threats focus of Bahrain security talks
- Bahrain tech expo to honour innovators
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum