PTC elects GBI chief to board
Honolulu, November 19, 2012
The Pacific Telecom Council (PTC) has announced the election of Ahmed Mekky, chief executive officer of Gulf Bridge International (GBI), a global private fiber optic cable company, to its Board of Governors.
The three-year term highlights the growing relevance of Middle East connectivity in the Pacific market, a statement said.
“I am honoured to have the trust of those industry leaders who elected me to the PTC Board of Governors,” said Mekky.
“I will continue to strive towards a stronger and constructive dialogue between the telecoms industry in the Middle East and the rest of the countries that are represented by the PTC. The Middle East is one of Asia’s fastest growing telecoms market, as well as a key route for communications from East to West.”
PTC is a leading organization promoting the advancement and commercial use of information and communication technologies, services, policies and knowledge to benefit its global members and countries of the Asia Pacific.
Mekky serves on the board as the first CEO of a company from the Middle East, representing GBI’s interests and presence in the Asia Pacific region. He is accompanied on the board by senior executives from the world’s leading companies.
Mekky plays an active role in the global telecoms industry. He is the co-chair of the Samena Subsea Working Group, and was recently listed amongst Global Telecoms Business’ Power 100. – TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Sandvine wins big Etisalat follow-on order
- Aveva software for engineering plant design
- Nawras to upgrade VSat services across Oman
- Mobily, Huawei sign smart network contract
- Etisalat, Tata launch video connect service
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- 4-pillar approach for telecom operators to boost growth
- Dubai mobile emissions below global standards
- Nawras signs capacity contract with SES
- Etisalat showcases satellite solutions at Cabsat
- Batelco launches 4G LTE roaming
- Gulf Air clinches best innovation award
- Viva inks Pepsi partnership deal
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion
- Cyber threats focus of Bahrain security talks
- Bahrain tech expo to honour innovators
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas