Qtel, MoneyGram launch money transfer service
Doha, November 6, 2012
Qatar Telecom (Qtel) and MoneyGram announced a new partnership to make MoneyGram money transfer available through Qtel Mobile Money, a leading service which enables transfer of funds using a mobile phone.
Under the new partnership, customers are able to send money to 284,000 local agents in 196 countries in Europe, the Americas and Asia including India, Pakistan, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and the Philippines.
The deal is the first in the world of its kind, and represents another incredible improvement in the customer experience delivered by Qtel Mobile Money, which is the fastest-growing financial transfer service in Qatar, a statement said.
Qtel Mobile Money customers can transfer money to whoever they want to, whenever and wherever they need to, it added.
Transfer of the money is almost instantaneous and recipients can collect the cash from the MoneyGram local agents.
With the MoneyGram partnership, Qtel becomes the first operator in the world to offer MoneyGram money transfer.
Mobile Money customers do not need to have a bank account to use the service, so thousands of so-called “under-banked” customers in Qatar now have a secure, effective service to send money home without worry.
Waleed Al Sayed, chief operating officer, Qtel Qatar, said: “This partnership is a critically-important step that reinforces and demonstrates Qtel’s commitment to service and innovation. “
“With a growing number of foreign workers working on critical projects in Qatar, there is an increasing need for people to be able to transfer money safely and conveniently back home at any time and from anywhere. The service provides security, convenience and global reach, and extends these benefits to people who do not have a bank account.”
"Customers want flexible, convenient and reliable ways to send money,” said Juan Agualimpia, EVP and chief marketing officer, MoneyGram.
“Adding MoneyGram International money transfers to Qtel’s mobile money service gives customers the option to transfer to any MoneyGram location worldwide.” – TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum
- Mobily provides 4G LTE international roaming
- Viva Kuwait, Huawei to set up innovation centre
- Etisalat, Airtel deal to boost network services
- Batelco offers 4G LTE backup solution