Mobily sees data volumes up during Hajj
Makkah, November 3, 2012
Etihad Etisalat (Mobily) said its network in the holy sites across Saudi Arabia had registered a massive growth in data volumes that were transmitted during the Hajj season this year.
According to the statistics released by the company, Mobily’s network succeeded to record 502 per cent and 101 per cent growth in data volumes in the holy sites and the central area of the Grand Mosque respectively compared with the same period of last year’s Hajj season.
The massive growth was mainly due to Mobily's steady infrastructure and to the recent network upgrades that were conducted in Makkah region ahead of Hajj season, said a statement from the company.
"It has added another 150 fixed and mobile towers in different sites in Makkah and “Masha’er. All new towers have been connected to Mobily’s own Fiber Optic network that covers the wide kingdom," it added.
As part of its social responsibility, Mobily said it had enabled free Internet access for all pilgrims through its WiFi network in Mina, Muzdalifah and Arafat.
"Tens of thousands of pilgrims, organizations staff members and workers have used the free WiFi during Hajj season this year. It was the sixth time in a row that Mobily offered such free service.
Mobily also announced that an increase was registered in the volume of the international minutes in Makkah and Madinah. Makkah had recorded 68 per cent growth while Madinah saw 82 per cent compared to the same period of last year, it added.-TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Bahrain to be ready for 5G network by 2017
- Eset wins top reseller award
- Etisalat wins performance award at CommsMEA
- Mideast IT spending to top $32bn in 2014
- MiX Telematics unveils fleet management solutions
- Etisalat unveils 100 MB data for prepaid users
- Du backs UAE entrepreneurs unit
- Aruba names new EMEA vice president
- Survey to measure UAE mobile radiation levels
- Zain Bahrain on track to launch new network