Mobily sees data volumes up during Hajj
Makkah, November 3, 2012
Etihad Etisalat (Mobily) said its network in the holy sites across Saudi Arabia had registered a massive growth in data volumes that were transmitted during the Hajj season this year.
According to the statistics released by the company, Mobily’s network succeeded to record 502 per cent and 101 per cent growth in data volumes in the holy sites and the central area of the Grand Mosque respectively compared with the same period of last year’s Hajj season.
The massive growth was mainly due to Mobily's steady infrastructure and to the recent network upgrades that were conducted in Makkah region ahead of Hajj season, said a statement from the company.
"It has added another 150 fixed and mobile towers in different sites in Makkah and “Masha’er. All new towers have been connected to Mobily’s own Fiber Optic network that covers the wide kingdom," it added.
As part of its social responsibility, Mobily said it had enabled free Internet access for all pilgrims through its WiFi network in Mina, Muzdalifah and Arafat.
"Tens of thousands of pilgrims, organizations staff members and workers have used the free WiFi during Hajj season this year. It was the sixth time in a row that Mobily offered such free service.
Mobily also announced that an increase was registered in the volume of the international minutes in Makkah and Madinah. Makkah had recorded 68 per cent growth while Madinah saw 82 per cent compared to the same period of last year, it added.-TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion
- Cyber threats focus of Bahrain security talks
- Bahrain tech expo to honour innovators
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum