Alcatel-Lucent likely to sell assets
Paris, November 3, 2012
Telecom equipment maker Alcatel-Lucent may sell assets to strengthen its balance sheet after posting a second straight quarterly loss as its customers around the world cut spending on mobile and fixed networks.
Third-quarter revenue fell 2.8 per cent year-on-year to 3.6 billion euros ($4.66 billion) in response to lower spending on network gear in the US and Asia, and a steep 15 per cent decline in Europe.
Chief financial officer Paul Tufano said the group was considering options such as "reprofiling our debt or an infusion of liquidity, including asset sales".
Alcatel's submarine cable business and a unit that sells telephone systems to big companies are both candidates for sale.
Goldman Sachs analysts estimated that sales of the submarine optic and the corporate telephony units could raise up to 400 million euros.
A source said the valuation would be "much higher", without giving details, while Bernstein analyst Pierre Ferragu said the submarine business alone could attract bids of over $1 billion "if sold at its best".
Despite making cost cuts, Alcatel-Lucent burned through 1.03bn euros in the first nine months of this year, compared with 978 million euros last year.
The company faces about 2.2 billion euros in debt repayments through to the end of 2015, with a major deadline on January 1, 2015, according to analysts.-Reuters
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum
- Mobily provides 4G LTE international roaming
- Viva Kuwait, Huawei to set up innovation centre
- Etisalat, Airtel deal to boost network services
- Batelco offers 4G LTE backup solution
- Arbor unveils ‘Peakflow’ solution
- Etisalat launches enterprise mobility services
- STC launches advanced 4G network
- Dubai to host ITU global summit