Qtel to offer new smart Wi-Fi
Doha, October 20, 2012
Qatar Telecom (Qtel) has announced that it will offer the all-new AC-enabled Linksys Smart Wi-Fi products to selected customers, making it the first in the world to do so.
The new Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router AC 1750 HD Video Pro (model EA6500), seamlessly connects devices such as Smart TVs, Blu-ray players and games consoles at Gigabit speed, wirelessly, using the complementary Linksys AC Universal Media Connector (model WUMC710).
The new router can reach speeds that are approximately three times faster than existing 802.11n models, and offers better range and reliability, a statement from Qtel said.
“Qtel Fibre and the new Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router are a perfect match. Customers can take control of their home entertainment system from anywhere at anytime and easily share video-on-demand, music and video games with their friends at the fastest-ever speeds,” the statement said.
Waleed Al-Sayed, chief operating officer, Qtel, said: “Qtel has worked hard to ensure that we are the first service provider in the world to offer this new solution to our customers. With improved range and the capacity to reach Gigabit speeds over Wi-Fi, we will be able to roll-out richer and more agile video services to our customers.”
“Our investment in a nationwide Qtel Fibre network positions Qatar at the forefront of these new and exciting developments.”
Both the router and universal media connector are due to be made available for Qtel Fibre customers in the coming weeks, the statement said.
Qtel Fibre is the country’s fastest home broadband connection, providing ultrafast internet and next-generation Mozaic TV services.
The company will roll out Qtel Fibre across the country, it said. Already more than 36,000 customers are using the service, and Qtel has installed Fibre to pass 131,000 homes for later activation.
Brett Wingo, vice president and general manager, Cisco home networking unit, said: “The new AC-powered Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router is designed to meet the explosive increase in video consumption and the rapid increase of Wi-Fi enabled devices in the home.”
“With this new model, in partnership with Qtel, we have combined top-of-the-line performance with unmatched usability and intelligence to help consumers get a better experience in the home. It is the ideal Wi-Fi solution for consumers to pair with an extremely-fast broadband connection like Qtel Fibre.” – TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum
- Mobily provides 4G LTE international roaming
- Viva Kuwait, Huawei to set up innovation centre
- Etisalat, Airtel deal to boost network services
- Batelco offers 4G LTE backup solution
- Arbor unveils ‘Peakflow’ solution
- Etisalat launches enterprise mobility services
- STC launches advanced 4G network