Alcatel settles Iraq fraud claim for $4.2m
New York, September 22, 2012
A subsidiary of Alcatel-Lucent has agreed to pay $4.2 million to settle allegations by the US government that it submitted misleading information while working on a military contract in Iraq.
The unit, Lucent Technologies World Services Inc, was awarded a $250 million US Army contract in 2004 to design and build an emergency communications system in Iraq, the US Justice Department said on Friday.
The company in early 2005 said that it had successfully tested the system's radio transmission sites and the system as a whole, but those certifications were inaccurate, the department said.
Stuart Delery, acting head of the Justice Department's civil division, said in a statement that the integrity of government contracts is important, "especially where contractors have been engaged to supply critical support for the work of stabilizing Iraq and Afghanistan."
Alcatel-Lucent co-operated with the investigation and its contracting subsidiary remains in good standing with the government, the company said in a statement.
"We agreed to pay the government $4.2 million to fully and completely resolve this matter and avoid the heavy cost of future litigation with the US government," the company said.
A whistleblower who had been a contract manager for the project, Geoffrey Willson, started the case in December 2008 under the False Claims Act.
The law allows a whistleblower to collect a share of the recovery in cases of improper government payments, and Willson will receive $758,000, the Justice Department said.-Reuters
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- 4-pillar approach for telecom operators to boost growth
- Dubai mobile emissions below global standards
- Nawras signs capacity contract with SES
- Etisalat showcases satellite solutions at Cabsat
- Batelco launches 4G LTE roaming
- Gulf Air clinches best innovation award
- Viva inks Pepsi partnership deal
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion
- Cyber threats focus of Bahrain security talks
- Bahrain tech expo to honour innovators
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m