Etisalat finalises Indonesian mobile stake sale
Abu Dhabi, September 19, 2012
UAE's leading telecommunications services company Etisalat said it has finalised the sale of a 9.1 per cent stake in Indonesian mobile firm PT XL Axiata for Dh1.87 billion ($509 million)
Following the sale, Etisalat will retain a 4.2 per cent ownership stake in the Indonesian firm, said the Emirati telecom firm in a statement.
The sale of the 775 million shares to institutional investors capitalized on the recent rally in XL Axiata’s stock price and resulted in gross proceeds of Dh1.87 billion to the UAE telco giant, said a top official.
"The sale is in line with the group’s strategy to focus on our core operations in order to deliver greater value to our shareholders. This investment has provided Etisalat with excellent returns and, given its recent performance, we decided to take advantage of the opportunity to crystallize some of the value created," remarked Etisalat Group CEO Ahmad Abdulkarim Julfar.
"This transaction further underscores the Etisalat management’s commitment towards being a disciplined investor for our shareholders,” he added.-TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Etisalat unveils 100 MB data for prepaid users
- Du backs UAE entrepreneurs unit
- Aruba names new EMEA vice president
- Survey to measure UAE mobile radiation levels
- Zain Bahrain on track to launch new network
- Microsoft assures foreign customers on spying
- Batelco wins ‘telecom deal’ award
- Samena summit focus on telecom issues
- US firm offers IT security software for SMBs
- US firm supplies biometric software to Saudi