Huawei unveils mobile broadband solution
Dubai, September 5, 2012
ICT firm Huawei has launched a Universal Mobile Telecom System (UMTS) solution that aims to double the number of simultaneous subscribers to a given network and enable them to receive mobile broadband (MBB) services.
The rapid growth of smartphones and mobile broadband (MBB) applications has strained the UMTS networks worldwide, Huawei said in a statement.
When analysing the total amount of data traffic used on a network over a certain period of time, Huawei found that 80 per cent of usage lasts less than 10 seconds and 60 per cent require less than 1kbit.
This finding led to another obstacle for MBB development known as “small data packet storms”, the ICT leader said.
Small data packet services are different than traditional voice services and high data rate downloads. When a smartphone user frequently refreshes pages on a site being browsed, the total amount of consumed traffic is very low.
In scenarios where smartphone penetration is high, with many simultaneously connected users, air interface efficiency decreases greatly leading to decreases in capacity, user experience and total connected number of users. This is referred to as a “small data packet storm.”
Huawei has developed this latest solution to combat small data packet storms in order to improve the user experience for subscribers using smartphones.
The solution has already been deployed commercially in Canada, Europe, Hong Kong and other regions where it has helped operators achieve business success, the statement said. – TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum
- Mobily provides 4G LTE international roaming
- Viva Kuwait, Huawei to set up innovation centre
- Etisalat, Airtel deal to boost network services
- Batelco offers 4G LTE backup solution
- Arbor unveils ‘Peakflow’ solution