Nawras, Huawei ink radio network deal
Muscat, June 27, 2012
Oman-based telecoms operator Nawras said it has signed a startegic agreement with Huawei, a leader in information and communications technology (ICT) solutions, to turbocharge its Radio Access Network (RAN).
As per the deal, Huawei will help Nawras upgrade all its sites to enhanced 3G+ besides increasing coverage, in-building penetration, capacity and speed of the entire network.
At the same time Nawras will be launching the highly anticipated 4G LTE technology, introducing one of the world’s most advanced wireless communication technologies to provide high-speed mobile data with an exciting new level of customer experience, said a senior official.
Commenting on the deal, CEO Ross Cormack said, “We are delighted to be joining forces with Huawei who have a wealth of experience and undisputed track record after building many of the world’s most advanced LTE networks.”
"4G LTE will essentially revolutionise the way we communicate with superfast, high quality broadband internet service, unlocking a world of communication opportunities beyond imagination," he remarked.
It will cover all major areas of Muscat Governate including Ruwi, Central Business District, Wadi Kabir, Muttrah, Qurm, Azaiba, Al Khuwair, Ghala, Baushar, Mawaleh and The Wave, by the end of the year. All major cities will enjoy LTE coverage by June 2013.
"With this cutting edge technology, we will introduce exciting services to give a seamless, smooth multimedia experience, whether it’s watching HD television or reading an interactive online news story with animation, audio and video feeds. We will be making communication even more exciting and even more rewarding," he added.
He said together with this decision and the TRA’s release of two more 3G+ frequencies, Nawras will at least triple its mobile broadband capacity to serve broadband hungry customers.
"As we turbocharge our network by increasing and enhancing 3G+ sites and introducing 4G LTE, we will continue to update customers at every step. This exciting development programme is due to begin this August in Al Amerat and will continue as we roll it out throughout the whole country," he observed.
Xiao Ning, the president of Qtel Key Account, Huawei said, “We share a mutual commitment with Nawras to developing customer-centric telecom networks in Oman, and we are proud to see this latest agreement build on a long and fruitful history of collaboration.”
“Within the region, 4G technologies such as LTE are on the verge of becoming an essential part of people's everyday lives. This innovative technology not only delivers faster speeds, but also offers significant cost advantages to operators in achieving business innovation,” he stated.
During the event, Wolfgang Wemhoff, Nawras chief technical officer, said the introduction of enhanced 3G+ and 4G LTE will enable the company to better serve customers’ ever increasing demand for richer services.
"It will result in higher performance with wider applications such as video conferencing, super responsive online gaming, streaming videos and music without interruption," he added.-TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum
- Mobily provides 4G LTE international roaming
- Viva Kuwait, Huawei to set up innovation centre
- Etisalat, Airtel deal to boost network services
- Batelco offers 4G LTE backup solution
- Arbor unveils ‘Peakflow’ solution
- Etisalat launches enterprise mobility services
- STC launches advanced 4G network
- Dubai to host ITU global summit