Qtel unit wins global honour for innovation
Doha, June 20, 2012
A major company of the Qtel Group, the telecom leader in Qatar, was honoured for its pioneering services for women in Indonesia at the recent Global Telecoms Business Innovation Awards 2012 in London.
All the awards were for projects that involve at least one operator and at least one vendor, with Nokia and Indosat, part of the Qtel Group, being jointly presented the ‘Emerging Market Service Innovation’ for the “Info Wanita” (Information for Women) service in support of women’s empowerment.
The Global Telecoms Business Awards have been presented annually since 2007, and are considered to be premier awards for the global telecommunications industry. It was an international event attended by senior executives from Brazil, Japan, China, South Africa and New Zealand, as well as the Middle East.
Launched on June 1, Info Wanita is an innovative consumer service designed for women, intended to empower them in their daily lives.
Offering a thrice-weekly SMS service, which is provided free-of-charge to Indosat’s female customers who purchase a bundled package, the service offers SMS content and interesting tips about personal development, health, child care, small business management, financial management, and other life skills.
Deploying the Nokia Life platform, Info Wanita provides easy access to information from the Foundation for Social Change, a social non-profit organisation specialising in education and empowerment of women and girls in developing countries. – TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion
- Cyber threats focus of Bahrain security talks
- Bahrain tech expo to honour innovators
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum