Oger gives S Africa unit $180m to boost network
Dubai, May 28, 2012
Oger Telecom, 35-per cent owned by Saudi Telecom, will inject $180 million into its South African subsidiary Cell C to improve the coverage and quality of the unit's network, the Dubai-based firm said.
Cell C has about 13 per cent of the mobile market in Africa's top economy, but is a distant third to MTN and Vodacom and earlier this year its newly appointed chief executive was reported as saying the firm's strategy would be to take customers from its larger rivals.
To facilitate this, majority shareholder Oger will inject $180 million into Cell C.
'The funding will be used to support the company's plans, which include the funding of new products and enhancing the quality and coverage of Cell C's network,' Oger said in an emailed statement.
The investment will not alter Oger's 75 per cent holding in Cell C, with the remaining 25 per cent owned by black empowerment group CellSaf.
Cell C carries about 87 per cent of its traffic on its own network, covering 92 percent of the population and about 35 per cent of South Africa's geography, according to its website.
Oger, part of Saudi Arabia's Oger group, also holds a 55 per cent stake in Turk Telekom. – Reuters
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum
- Mobily provides 4G LTE international roaming
- Viva Kuwait, Huawei to set up innovation centre
- Etisalat, Airtel deal to boost network services
- Batelco offers 4G LTE backup solution