Telecom Egypt Q1 net up, business improves
Cairo, May 14, 2012
Landline monopoly Telecom Egypt reported on Monday a 1.7 percent rise in net profit for the first quarter of 2012, saying the Egyptian business environment was improving after a turbulent year in 2011.
The company reported consolidated net income of 912 million Egyptian pounds ($151 million) in the first three months of the year, compared to 897 million a year earlier.
'Following a turbulent year in 2011, the Egyptian business environment is showing signs of normalising. This is reflected in our revenue performance year on year and quarter on quarter,' chief executive officer and managing director Tarek Aboualam said in a statement.
Egypt's economy has been battered by political turmoil since Hosni Mubarak was ousted from office in February 2011. Since then, a transition to democracy has been marred by violence and rows between political groups and the ruling army.
Consolidated revenues rose 12 percent 2.68 billion pounds. Earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation (EBITDA) were 1.39 billion pounds, delivering a margin of 52 percent, the company said. Earnings per share for the period were 0.53 pounds.
Telecom Egypt owns a 45 percent stake in British operator Vodafone's local unit. It said Vodafone Egypt made a positive contribution to the share of profits of 192 million pounds. Telecom Egypt shares closed at 13 pounds on Sunday. - Reuters
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum
- Mobily provides 4G LTE international roaming
- Viva Kuwait, Huawei to set up innovation centre
- Etisalat, Airtel deal to boost network services
- Batelco offers 4G LTE backup solution
- Arbor unveils ‘Peakflow’ solution
- Etisalat launches enterprise mobility services
- STC launches advanced 4G network