Microsoft, Barnes & Noble team up
New York, April 30, 2012
Microsoft Corporation will invest $300 million in Barnes & Noble's digital and college businesses, valuing them at $1.7 billion. Shares of Barnes & Noble jumped 79 per cent.
Microsoft will get a 17.6 per cent stake in the new unit, while Barnes & Noble will own about 82.4 per cent, the companies said in a statement on Monday.
The business, whose name has not yet been decided, will have an ongoing relationship with Barnes & Noble's retail stores.
Barnes & Noble, the number one US bookstore chain, said in January that it might spin off its digital business, which includes its Nook e-reader.
The companies will introduce an application for the Nook on Windows 8, the upcoming version of Microsoft's operating system.
Barnes & Noble is investing heavily to develop its popular Nook devices and the e-books sales they generate as readers move away from traditional books.
Barnes & Noble and Microsoft have settled their patent litigation, the companies said.
Shares of Barnes & Noble were up 79 per cent at $24.50 in premarket trading. The company was valued at just above $823 million at Friday's close.
Microsoft shares rose 0.7 per cent to $32.19. – Reuters
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum
- Mobily provides 4G LTE international roaming
- Viva Kuwait, Huawei to set up innovation centre
- Etisalat, Airtel deal to boost network services
- Batelco offers 4G LTE backup solution