Cable fault may hit internet service
Dubai, February 21, 2012
Internet services in the UAE may be affected due to a cut in an international submarine cable that took place today, a statement from telecom operaotr du said.
"We are issuing this statement in order to alert our customers to a possible degradation of internet services as a result of an international submarine cable cut that took place at 7.45 am, 21 February: due to the undersea FLAG cable cut between Dubai and Oman," the statement said.
"The cable cut may affect some Internet users who may witness degradation in internet speed as we expect some slowness especially in peak times," it said..
"We would like to assure our customers that we have taken immediate action to ease the situation by re-routing our traffic over multiple alternative cable systems to reduce the impact of the cable cuts. Although the incident is not under our control, we are working with the concerned parties to ensure a quick resolution of this issue. According to cable operators, repair process has already started and performance is expected to go back to normal levels within the coming few days," it said. - TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- SAP holds key event in Kuwait
- Mobily partners with PCCW Global
- Ministry in new major green IT campaign
- Thuraya forms new innovation department
- Mobily denies asking help for spying
- UAE firm patents new mobile technology
- Mobily picks Ericsson smart services router
- Orascom Telecom suffers $204m loss in Q1
- Orascom Telecom rejects Altimo buyout offer
- Windows 8 update coming this year