Vimpel in $4bn loan deal for Orascom takeover
London, December 4, 2010
Russian telecom Vimpelcom is expected to mandate banks imminently to arrange a $4 billion loan to part finance its $6.6 billion takeover bid for Egypt's Orascom Telecom and Italy's Wind, according to banking sources.
'It's tantalisingly close; the pens haven't hit the paper yet, but it's all been agreed,' one of the sources said.
As previously reported, the $4 billion bridge loan to bond issue will be used to finance the cash component of the acquisition of around $2 billion and refinance $2 billion of existing Vimpelcom debt, which is being moved from Vimpelcom BV to Vimpelcom OGSC.
The bridge loan is expected to be mandated to a group of three to six banks on aggressive terms for a company with a non-investment grade rating. Vimpelcom is rated BB+ by Standard and Poor's and Ba2 by Moody's.
Vimpelcom is currently seeking to resolve the future of Orascom Telecom's Algerian telecom unit Djezzy.
The Algerian government may be close to appointing an adviser for the nationalisation of Djezzy, while Orascom is eager for talks on valuation to start soon so it can settle how much Algeria will pay for Djezzy and whether some of Djezzy's equity can be transferred to Vimpelcom.
Separately, Wind has completed its 3.93 billion euro ($5.18 billion) loan and 2.7 billion euro high-yield bond refinancing.-Reuters
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum
- Mobily provides 4G LTE international roaming
- Viva Kuwait, Huawei to set up innovation centre
- Etisalat, Airtel deal to boost network services
- Batelco offers 4G LTE backup solution
- Arbor unveils ‘Peakflow’ solution
- Etisalat launches enterprise mobility services
- STC launches advanced 4G network