Dolphin, ePlanet Ventures to invest in FRiENDi
Dubai, September 27, 2009
FRiENDi Group, a leading pan-regional mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) based in Dubai, has announced an equity investment by Dolphin International and global top-10 venture capital firm ePlanet Ventures.
Dolphin International is a privately-owned Omani company established in 1985 that holds a diverse portfolio of investments in banking, infrastructure, education, healthcare, bio-technology, advertising, real estate, construction, surgical products and energy.
Mohamed Y. Al Ibrahim, managing director of Dolphin International will join the board of directors for FRiENDi Group.
“We are happy to join a prominent group of existing shareholders and to support the strong management team of FRiENDi Group. We fully believe in the plans FRiENDi Group has for expanding the MVNO business model in the region, and look forward to contribute to the company’s success” said Al Ibrahim.
“As a local partner in the FRiENDi Group operation in Oman, we know the company and its management well, and therefore this regional investment is an important strengthening of the relationship between Dolphin and FRiENDi.”
ePlanet Ventures is one of the world’s leading Venture Capital companies with 10 offices across Asia, North America and Europe. It has funded over 90 innovative high-growth companies worldwide, including landmark investments such as Baidu, Skype and Focus Media.
“ePlanet became a shareholder in FRiENDi Group in March 2008, and the additional investment we are announcing today is a manifestation of our confidence that FRiENDi Group has a bright future ahead of it in the attractive mobile telecommunications markets of Mena,” said Asad Jamal, chairman and chief executive officer of ePlanet Ventures.
“We are pleased with the progress FRiENDi Group has made so far, having launched the first MVNO in the Mena region, and we see the company as very well positioned for continued development and strong growth.” he added.
The Dubai-based FRiENDi Group has pioneered the MVNO concept in the Mena region, including making regional telecommunications industry history when launching the first regional MVNO in April 2009.
The group is delivering better services and value to its customers by using and value-adding the mobile networks of existing telecom operators, and this enable a quick regional service rollout without the considerable cost and long lead-times of building and maintaining an own mobile network.
”We have raised this additional double-digit USD millions equity to further improve our financial readiness for launching multiple MVNO operations in quick succession across the region, now we successfully have validated the MVNO model in the region with the launch of our operation in Oman”, said Mikkel Vinter, founder and chief executive officer of FRiENDi Group.
“We are particularly pleased with both Dolphin and ePlanet Ventures being existing regional and local investors, so their additional investment that we have announced today is a sign of trust in the company and our business model,” he added.-TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum
- Mobily provides 4G LTE international roaming
- Viva Kuwait, Huawei to set up innovation centre
- Etisalat, Airtel deal to boost network services
- Batelco offers 4G LTE backup solution
- Arbor unveils ‘Peakflow’ solution
- Etisalat launches enterprise mobility services
- STC launches advanced 4G network
- Dubai to host ITU global summit