Wataniya Q2 net profit up 140pc
Kuwait City, August 14, 2009
Kuwait's National Mobile Telecommunications (Wataniya) posted a second-quarter net profit rise of 140 percent to 63.5 million dinars ($221.2 million).
However, Wataniya, a unit of Qatar Telecommunications Co, said in June that its second-quarter earnings would reflect a 58.4 million dinar reversal of provisions, after winning a court ruling against the telecommunications ministry.
The company said that it had a net profit at 63.5 million dinars ($221 million), beating a forecast of 12.5 million dinars from a Prime Emirates analyst.
In the first quarter, Wataniya posted a 4.4 percent fall in net profit to 15.3 million dinars, compared with 16 million dinars in the same period in 2008.
Earnings per share rose to 126.74 fils compared to 52.97 fils in the second quarter of 2008. There are 1,000 fils to the dinar.
Zain, Kuwait's biggest mobile telephone operator, last month posted a 5.5 percent rise in second-quarter net profit to 78.8 million dinars, compared with the year earlier period. - Reuters
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Batelco launches 4G LTE roaming
- Gulf Air clinches best innovation award
- Viva inks Pepsi partnership deal
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion
- Cyber threats focus of Bahrain security talks
- Bahrain tech expo to honour innovators
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies