Egypt a 'vital partner' to US: Kerry
Cairo, November 3, 2013
US Secretary of State John Kerry met his Egyptian counterpart in Cairo on Sunday and said Egypt was a "vital partner" that Washington was committed to working with.
Kerry, the most senior US official to visit Egypt since the army overthrew Islamist President Mohamed Mursi in July, stressed the need for fair and transparent trials for all Egyptians.
Kerry's visit happened the day before Mursi and 14 other senior Muslim Brotherhood leaders were due to go on trial charged with inciting violence. - Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- Kuwait spy chief worried by Iraq turmoil
- US lawmakers push to introduce new Iran bill
- Yemen close to $550m IMF loan deal
- 3 more Swiss banks join US tax deal
- US, Britain suspend aid to Northern Syria
- Iran to set date for IAEA visit to uranium mine
- Gulf leaders urged to launch Syria aid fund
- Iran, six powers meet on steps to carry out nuclear deal
- US exits GM stake in $10bn loss for taxpayers
- World leaders gather for Mandela memorial