44 dead in clashes across Egypt
Cairo, October 7, 2013
At least 44 people were killed during protests across Egypt on Sunday, a security source and the state news agency said.
"So far the death toll is 44 and over 100 are injured," a security source told Reuters.
State news agency Mena put the number of wounded at 246 in clashes that erupted after supporters and opponents of deposed Islamist President Mohamed Mursi took to the streets. - Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- US exits GM stake in $10bn loss for taxpayers
- World leaders gather for Mandela memorial
- Tearful Thai PM urges protesters to take part in polls
- Chinese 'spied on Europeans before G20 summit'
- Bitter cold, ice grip US East Coast
- EU scraps duty on jet fuel imports
- Tech giants call for more controls on surveillance
- Thai PM dissolves parliament, calls snap polls
- Arabs seek nuclear arms-free Middle East
- Anti-Russia protests rage in Ukraine, Stalin statue felled