18 killed in Moscow bus crash
Moscow, July 13, 2013
Eighteen people were killed and 25 injured when a truck ploughed into a bus in a Moscow suburb on Saturday, according to the Russian emergency ministry.
An eyewitness video of the crash, broadcast on state television, showed the green and white passenger bus's windows shattering as it split in half, forcing other vehicles on the road to swerve wildly out of its way.
Death rates from Russian road accidents are higher than in most Western countries, and lawmakers are moving to toughen drunk-driving penalties.
The country has gained fame for its erratic drivers, with footage of cars overtaking on blind corners, rear-ending each other and careening off the road amassing millions of views on YouTube.-Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- Blatter calls for calm over Qatar 2022 problems
- German factory orders fall 2 per cent
- US upbeat as jobless rate hits five-year low
- US ‘does not recognize China's air defence zone’
- Brent edges over $111; eyes on US jobs data
- NELSON MANDELA HAS DIED
- Europe braces for deadly hurricane Xaver
- 11 killed in Iraq mall attack
- EU slaps $2.3bn fine on top banks
- US lawmakers worried over Iran's enrichment ability