Thousands of Hezbollah fighters in Syria: Kerry
Amman, May 22, 2013
US Secretary of State John Kerry said on Wednesday that there were several thousand fighters from the Lebanese group Hezbollah taking part in Syria's conflict, with Iranian support.
He told a news conference in the Jordanian capital Amman that if Syrian President Bashar Al-Assad was not prepared to discuss a political solution to end Syria's civil war, the US and others would consider increasing support for his opponents.
Commenting on recent offensives by Assad's forces, Kerry said they had made gains on the ground in recent days but said he regarded those gains as "very temporary". - Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- EU scraps duty on jet fuel imports
- Tech giants call for more controls on surveillance
- Thai PM dissolves parliament, calls snap polls
- Arabs seek nuclear arms-free Middle East
- Anti-Russia protests rage in Ukraine, Stalin statue felled
- SAfricans remember Mandela with praise, prayers
- UN inspectors visit key Iran nuke site
- Ice storm causes blackouts, flight delays in US
- Ruling Congress party punished in India polls
- US proposes annual GCC defence summit