Venezuelan presidential candidate Nicolas Maduro and his wife Cilia Flores celebrate after the official results gave him a victory in the balloting
Venezuela's Maduro wins election
Caracas, April 15, 2013
Nicolas Maduro, a former bus driver who became Hugo Chavez's protege, was declared the winner of Venezuela's presidential election on Sunday but the opposition refused to accept the result and demanded a recount of all the votes.
Opposition candidate Henrique Capriles said he did not recognise the official results that gave Maduro 50.7 per cent support versus 49.1 per cent for him, a difference of just 235,000 ballots.
"Maduro, if you were illegitimate before, now you are even more loaded with illegitimacy," Capriles said, adding that his team had identified more than 3,000 "incidents" during the voting.
Capriles' refusal to accept the result raised fears of political unrest in Venezuela, an Opec nation with the world's biggest oil reserves.
The National Electoral Council earlier said that more than 99 per cent of votes had been counted and that Maduro's victory was "irreversible."
Government supporters immediately gathered to celebrate outside the Miraflores presidential palace, where Maduro paid an emotional tribute to Chavez, the socialist leader who named him as his successor in his last speech to the nation before dying last month from cancer.
"The fight continues!" Maduro, 50, told the victory rally.
"This was the first time without the giant candidate, but he left behind his 'son,' who is now going to be president and is going to show he is worthy of the fatherland."
Some opposition supporters in Caracas banged pots and pans in protest as Maduro spoke. – Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- Lost plane search expands; focus on crew
- US navy seizes Libya rebel oil tanker
- Malaysia police probe flight engineer
- Moscow wins overwhelming Crimea vote
- Syria rebel bastion near Lebanon falls
- Russia 'can turn US to radioactive ash'
- Malaysia formally asks for international help
- MASSACRE: Gunmen kill 100 in central Nigeria
- Tense Crimea votes on Russia referendum
- Libyan port rebels say ready for talks
- India puts on hold search for missing plane
- Alibaba plans US listing in third-quarter
- Lost airliner was diverted deliberately: Malaysian PM
- Saudi demands Qatar shut down Al Jazeera
- Labour stalwart Benn dies aged 88
- Bahrain boat show postponed over development work
- Korean steel maker Posco set for revamp
- Harsh winter hits US consumer sentiment
- Sanctions set as Russia presses on with Crimea takeover
- India inflation at nine-month low
- Missing plane: It's deliberate act says Malaysia PM
- Lost plane 'flown deliberately toward Andamans'
- Gold hits fresh six-month highs
- Iran not open for business, affirms Kerry
- Barclays 'to cut thousands of jobs'
- Jet sent 'pings' after going missing
- China premier warns on economic slowdown
- Gunmen fire on army bus in Cairo, 1 killed
- Lost jet 'may have flown for four hours'
- Gold up as Ukraine, China prompt safe-haven bids