Syria opposition says no contact yet about talks
Cairo, February 25, 2013
The head of Syria's main opposition coalition said on Monday the group had not had any communication with the Syrian government after Damascus said it was ready to talk to the armed opposition.
"We have not been in contact yet, and we are waiting for communication with them," Syrian National Coalition leader Moaz Alkhatib told reporters in Cairo after Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Moualem said Damascus was ready to talk.
Alkhatib also said opposition visits to the United States and Russia had been delayed "until we see how things develop".
But he added: "We will go to any place that could lead to the removal of the suffering of our people."
The coalition head criticised Russia for what he said was its refusal to condemn the killing of civilians by President Bashar al-Assad's military.
"This is an unacceptable position. The silent states are participating in the massacre of the Syrian people," he said. – Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- US exits GM stake in $10bn loss for taxpayers
- World leaders gather for Mandela memorial
- Tearful Thai PM urges protesters to take part in polls
- Chinese 'spied on Europeans before G20 summit'
- Bitter cold, ice grip US East Coast
- EU scraps duty on jet fuel imports
- Tech giants call for more controls on surveillance
- Thai PM dissolves parliament, calls snap polls
- Arabs seek nuclear arms-free Middle East
- Anti-Russia protests rage in Ukraine, Stalin statue felled