Robbers seize $467m gems at Brussels airport
Brussels , February 19, 2013
Armed robbers stole diamonds worth 350 million euros ($467 million) while the gems were being loaded onto a plane at Brussels Airport on Monday evening, Belgian state broadcaster VRT reported.
Two vehicles carrying four armed men drove up to a security van near the Swiss passenger plane, officials said.
"The men were armed and masked. There were no shots fired and nobody was injured," a spokeswoman for the Brussels prosecutor said.
Both vehicles sped off after the robbery and one of them was later found, said officials, who would not comment on what was taken.
The robbers managed to get onto the tarmac after breaking through the fence that surrounds the airport, a spokesman for Brussels Airport said. - Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- US House agrees $633bn in defence spending
- Chemical arms used repeatedly in Syria: UN
- World shares tumble on Fed jitters
- EU industrial output falls sharply in Oct
- Kuwait spy chief worried by Iraq turmoil
- US lawmakers push to introduce new Iran bill
- Yemen close to $550m IMF loan deal
- 3 more Swiss banks join US tax deal
- US, Britain suspend aid to Northern Syria
- Iran to set date for IAEA visit to uranium mine