IOC says cut wrestling from 2020 Olympics
Lausanne, February 12, 2013
Wrestling should be removed from the 2020 Olympic Games, the International Olympic Committee's executive board recommended on Tuesday as it looks to revamp the games sports programme.
Wrestling, contested in the first modern Olympics in 1896, will join a list of seven other candidate sports battling for one spot on the programme. It is very unlikely; however, that wrestling will get back in.
The IOC session in Buenos Aires in September will still need to ratify the decision. – Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- Bond, shares tumble as Fed signals end to stimulus
- Floods wreak havoc in India; over 150 dead
- Afghan government to shun US talks with Taliban
- Gold falls to 2-month lows on stimulus outlook
- World Bank watching Fed, ready to respond
- Blast hits Syrian port of Latakia
- Asian business sentiment upbeat in Q2, says survey
- Lebanese minister accuses Syria of 'ethnic cleansing'
- US to meet Taliban to seek Afghan peace
- Taliban 'ready for Afghan peace talks'