IOC says cut wrestling from 2020 Olympics
Lausanne, February 12, 2013
Wrestling should be removed from the 2020 Olympic Games, the International Olympic Committee's executive board recommended on Tuesday as it looks to revamp the games sports programme.
Wrestling, contested in the first modern Olympics in 1896, will join a list of seven other candidate sports battling for one spot on the programme. It is very unlikely; however, that wrestling will get back in.
The IOC session in Buenos Aires in September will still need to ratify the decision. – Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- World shares tumble on Fed jitters
- EU industrial output falls sharply in Oct
- Kuwait spy chief worried by Iraq turmoil
- US lawmakers push to introduce new Iran bill
- Yemen close to $550m IMF loan deal
- 3 more Swiss banks join US tax deal
- US, Britain suspend aid to Northern Syria
- Iran to set date for IAEA visit to uranium mine
- Gulf leaders urged to launch Syria aid fund
- Iran, six powers meet on steps to carry out nuclear deal