Let's talk in Cairo, Iran tells powers
Tehran, January 23, 2013
Iran has suggested that the next round of nuclear talks with world powers should take place in Cairo, the ISNA news agency reported on Wednesday, citing the Islamic state's foreign minister.
"When I was in Egypt ... it was suggested that the next meeting be held in Cairo," Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi was quoted as saying by ISNA on Wednesday. "This issue was welcomed by our dear friends in Egypt and Egypt will consult with the P5+1 for hosting this meeting."
The last round of negotiations between Iran and six world powers, known collectively as the P5+1, over Tehran's disputed nuclear programme was held in June 2012 in Moscow. Iranian media last week cited Geneva, Istanbul and "some other cities" as possible locations for talks.
Both Iran and P5+1 - the United States, Britain, France, Germany, China and Russia - say they want to resume talks.
However, the two sides' priorities diverge: the powers want to curb Iran's work to potentially develop atomic weapons, while Iran wants sanctions scrapped and their "rights" to enrich uranium formally recognised.
Three rounds of negotiations in 2012 failed to achieve a breakthrough in the decade-old dispute, which has the potential to trigger a new Middle East war. Iran denies it is pursuing weapons and says its programme is purely peaceful. - Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- Netanyahu hints at further strikes in Syria
- $590m jackpot winning ticket sold in Florida
- Texas joins flood of states suing BP
- Switzerland close to deal in US tax dispute
- Israel warns against Russia arms supply to Syria
- Yahoo! may buy Tumblr for $1.1bn
- US orders Canadian bank to revise laws
- Talks unlikely to succeed says Assad
- IILM seeks dealers for sukuk issue
- Severn Trent rejects $7.2bn Kuwait bid offer