Pakistan court orders arrest of prime minister
Islamabad, January 15, 2013
Pakistan's Supreme Court has ordered the arrest of the prime minister in connection with a corruption case linked to power projects, television channels reported.
The order to arrest Raja Pervez Ashraf will plunge the country into fresh political turmoil.
The surprise move came as a populist cleric, who is believed to be backed by the military, demanded the resignation of the government in protests attended by thousands of followers in the heart of the capital Islamabad. - Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- World Bank watching Fed, ready to respond
- Blast hits Syrian port of Latakia
- Asian business sentiment upbeat in Q2, says survey
- Lebanese minister accuses Syria of 'ethnic cleansing'
- US to meet Taliban to seek Afghan peace
- Taliban 'ready for Afghan peace talks'
- Assad says Europe will "pay price" if it arms rebels
- Putin faces isolation over Syria as G8 ups pressure
- US right to arm Syrian rebels, says Israeli president
- Putin, Obama face off over Syria issue