A Turkish soldier speaks with Syrian refugees who
are trying to cross the border fence in Ras al-Ain.
Syria opposition to make Cairo its HQ
Cairo, November 19, 2012
Syria's new opposition coalition has decided to make Egypt its headquarters, the president of the body was quoted as saying by Egypt's official news agency on Monday.
Mouaz Alkhatib, head of the Syrian National Coalition for Opposition and Revolutionary Forces, was speaking after a meeting with Egyptian Foreign Minister Mohamed Amr in Cairo.
"There is a decision by the coalition to make Egypt its main headquarters," the Mena news agency quoted him as saying.
A short statement released by the Egyptian Foreign Ministry after the meeting made no reference to whether the new Syrian opposition body would move to Cairo.
"The minister expressed Egypt's readiness to offer all means of assistance to the Syrian coalition in the coming period," it said. - Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- Taliban 'ready for Afghan peace talks'
- Assad says Europe will "pay price" if it arms rebels
- Putin faces isolation over Syria as G8 ups pressure
- US right to arm Syrian rebels, says Israeli president
- Putin, Obama face off over Syria issue
- 30 killed in Iraq car bombings
- Riot police patrol Istanbul ahead of ruling party rally
- US jets in Jordan fuel Russian fear of Syria no-fly zone
- Democrats blocking Obama's trade push
- UK urges G8 to close global tax loopholes