A Turkish soldier speaks with Syrian refugees who
are trying to cross the border fence in Ras al-Ain.
Syria opposition to make Cairo its HQ
Cairo, November 19, 2012
Syria's new opposition coalition has decided to make Egypt its headquarters, the president of the body was quoted as saying by Egypt's official news agency on Monday.
Mouaz Alkhatib, head of the Syrian National Coalition for Opposition and Revolutionary Forces, was speaking after a meeting with Egyptian Foreign Minister Mohamed Amr in Cairo.
"There is a decision by the coalition to make Egypt its main headquarters," the Mena news agency quoted him as saying.
A short statement released by the Egyptian Foreign Ministry after the meeting made no reference to whether the new Syrian opposition body would move to Cairo.
"The minister expressed Egypt's readiness to offer all means of assistance to the Syrian coalition in the coming period," it said. - Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- US exits GM stake in $10bn loss for taxpayers
- World leaders gather for Mandela memorial
- Tearful Thai PM urges protesters to take part in polls
- Chinese 'spied on Europeans before G20 summit'
- Bitter cold, ice grip US East Coast
- EU scraps duty on jet fuel imports
- Tech giants call for more controls on surveillance
- Thai PM dissolves parliament, calls snap polls
- Arabs seek nuclear arms-free Middle East
- Anti-Russia protests rage in Ukraine, Stalin statue felled