A Turkish soldier speaks with Syrian refugees who
are trying to cross the border fence in Ras al-Ain.
Syria opposition to make Cairo its HQ
Cairo, November 19, 2012
Syria's new opposition coalition has decided to make Egypt its headquarters, the president of the body was quoted as saying by Egypt's official news agency on Monday.
Mouaz Alkhatib, head of the Syrian National Coalition for Opposition and Revolutionary Forces, was speaking after a meeting with Egyptian Foreign Minister Mohamed Amr in Cairo.
"There is a decision by the coalition to make Egypt its main headquarters," the Mena news agency quoted him as saying.
A short statement released by the Egyptian Foreign Ministry after the meeting made no reference to whether the new Syrian opposition body would move to Cairo.
"The minister expressed Egypt's readiness to offer all means of assistance to the Syrian coalition in the coming period," it said. - Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- Passports requiring probe were on Malaysia flight
- 40 killed in Yemen as Houthi fighters near capital
- Vietnam finds object in sea; search on
- $5bn poll spend to boost India economy
- Libya authorises use of force against Korean tanker
- Ukraine PM says he will go to US to discuss crisis
- Syrian journalist killed covering fighting
- Malaysian jet may have turned back before vanishing
- No sign of missing plane; Malaysia probes false passports
- Two Europeans not on board 'missing' Malaysian jet
- China draws red line on North Korea
- Saudi sentences three to death for 2003 bombing
- First bitcoin machine opens in UK
- US sanctions will boomerang, warns Russia
- China plans $50bn bank to fund projects
- Sony to sell Tokyo 'birthplace'
- Obama orders sanctions over Russian moves
- Crimea parliament votes to join Russia
- Arab League to be revamped
- 'Upskirting' is legal: Massachusetts court
- Singapore probes 'unnatural' death of bitcoin trader
- Onus on world powers for Syria war crimes: UN
- US, Russia set for talks on Ukraine crisis
- Brent oil drops below $109
- Services outshine manufacturing, pushing up jobs
- Bitcoin bank shut down after hacker attack
- India to kick off world's biggest poll on April 7
- China signals focus on reforms
- Hundreds ready for bitcoin exchange class action
- Space taxi, Jupiter mission in Obama budget