Syria opposition sign initial deal for new body
Doha, November 11, 2012
Syrian opposition groups have signed an initial agreement to form a new coalition of forces fighting to end the rule of President Bashar al-Assad, a Syrian delegate at talks in Doha said on Sunday.
"An initial deal has been signed. The evening session will be for electing the president of the body and his deputy," Ali Sadreddine al-Bayanouni, a Muslim Brotherhood delegate at the talks, told reporters.
The new body, made up of groups inside and outside Syria, would be called the National Coalition for Opposition Forces and the Syrian Revolution, he added. – Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- Kuwait spy chief worried by Iraq turmoil
- US lawmakers push to introduce new Iran bill
- Yemen close to $550m IMF loan deal
- 3 more Swiss banks join US tax deal
- US, Britain suspend aid to Northern Syria
- Iran to set date for IAEA visit to uranium mine
- Gulf leaders urged to launch Syria aid fund
- Iran, six powers meet on steps to carry out nuclear deal
- US exits GM stake in $10bn loss for taxpayers
- World leaders gather for Mandela memorial