Romney concedes election to Obama
Washington, November 7, 2012
Republican Mitt Romney conceded the US presidential election to President Barack Obama early on Wednesday morning after a bitterly fought battle.
"This is a time of great challenges for America and I pray that the president will be successful in guiding our nation," Romney told supporters after calling Obama to congratulate him.
Obama defeated Romney in a series of key swing states, despite the weak economic recovery and stubbornly high unemployment that dogged his campaign.
Television networks called the election late on Tuesday, but the Romney campaign waited more than an hour to agree on the results in Ohio. - Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- Blatter calls for calm over Qatar 2022 problems
- German factory orders fall 2 per cent
- US upbeat as jobless rate hits five-year low
- US ‘does not recognize China's air defence zone’
- Brent edges over $111; eyes on US jobs data
- NELSON MANDELA HAS DIED
- Europe braces for deadly hurricane Xaver
- 11 killed in Iraq mall attack
- EU slaps $2.3bn fine on top banks
- US lawmakers worried over Iran's enrichment ability