Romney concedes election to Obama
Washington, November 7, 2012
Republican Mitt Romney conceded the US presidential election to President Barack Obama early on Wednesday morning after a bitterly fought battle.
"This is a time of great challenges for America and I pray that the president will be successful in guiding our nation," Romney told supporters after calling Obama to congratulate him.
Obama defeated Romney in a series of key swing states, despite the weak economic recovery and stubbornly high unemployment that dogged his campaign.
Television networks called the election late on Tuesday, but the Romney campaign waited more than an hour to agree on the results in Ohio. - Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- $590m jackpot winning ticket sold in Florida
- Texas joins flood of states suing BP
- Switzerland close to deal in US tax dispute
- Israel warns against Russia arms supply to Syria
- Yahoo! may buy Tumblr for $1.1bn
- US orders Canadian bank to revise laws
- Talks unlikely to succeed says Assad
- IILM seeks dealers for sukuk issue
- Severn Trent rejects $7.2bn Kuwait bid offer
- US chides Russia over missile delivery to Assad