StanChart CEO takes charge of probe talks
London, August 14, 2012
Standard Chartered's chief executive Peter Sands has flown to New York to take personal control of the bank's attempts to reach a settlement with US regulators over allegations it hid transactions involving Iran.
Sands is also ready to attend a hearing set for Wednesday at which the London-based bank has been told by the New York banking regulator that it must demonstrate why its state banking licence should not be revoked over the transactions.
A Standard Chartered spokesman said on Tuesday the bank was waiting to hear from New York regulator, the Department of Financial Services (DFS), what form the hearing will take. The DFS has released no details of how the session will be conducted.
"Peter is happy to go if that's appropriate," a Standard Chartered spokesman said.
Sands will work with the bank's lawyers, who are attempting to negotiate a settlement over the issue with US authorities, the spokesman said.
Last week, state Financial Services Superintendent Benjamin Lawsky said the bank hid Iran-linked transactions with a total value of $250 billion. Lawsky called Standard Chartered a "rogue institution" for breaking US sanctions against Iran.
Sands had to cut his vacation short when details of the New York regulator's allegations emerged.
He denied the allegations and said the total amount that failed to adhere to the sanctions was less than $14 million. He also said he was taken by "complete surprise" by the ferocity of Lawsky's attack, which he described as "disproportionate".
The stakes for Standard Chartered are high, given that the loss of its state banking licence would effectively cut it off from direct access to the US bank market. Most of Standard Chartered's business is in Asia and the Middle East.
The DFS has declined to comment on the negotiations.
A person familiar with the situation, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Lawsky was seeking a settlement of about $350 million. Another person with knowledge of the situation said the figure had dropped to $250 million. - Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- China deploys 10 satellites to search for Malaysia jet
- Libya says halts tanker outside port; rebels deny it
- Libya orders military force to 'liberate' ports
- Big bananas: Chiquita, Fyffes merge
- Radar sweeps, dozens of aircraft, but no sign of plane
- N Korea tanker loads oil at Libya rebel port
- Gold drops as US growth optimism weighs
- Merkel raps Putin; Russia tightens grip on Crimea
- World 'at sea' over missing Malaysian jetliner
- Passports requiring probe were on Malaysia flight
- 40 killed in Yemen as Houthi fighters near capital
- Vietnam finds object in sea; search on
- $5bn poll spend to boost India economy
- Libya authorises use of force against Korean tanker
- Ukraine PM says he will go to US to discuss crisis
- Syrian journalist killed covering fighting
- Malaysian jet may have turned back before vanishing
- No sign of missing plane; Malaysia probes false passports
- Two Europeans not on board 'missing' Malaysian jet
- China draws red line on North Korea
- Saudi sentences three to death for 2003 bombing
- First bitcoin machine opens in UK
- US sanctions will boomerang, warns Russia
- China plans $50bn bank to fund projects
- Sony to sell Tokyo 'birthplace'
- Obama orders sanctions over Russian moves
- Crimea parliament votes to join Russia
- Arab League to be revamped
- 'Upskirting' is legal: Massachusetts court
- Singapore probes 'unnatural' death of bitcoin trader