Two killed, 18 wounded in Beirut clashes
Beirut, May 21, 2012
Two people were killed and 18 wounded in overnight clashes in Beirut, Lebanon's National News Agency said on Monday, the latest bloodshed fuelled by tensions over the uprising in neighbouring Syria.
Fighters firing rocket-propelled grenades and machine guns clashed for most of the night in the Tariq al-Jadideh district of the Lebanese capital.
The violence followed the killing by Lebanese army soldiers in the north of the country on Sunday of two members of a political party opposed to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad. – Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- US exits GM stake in $10bn loss for taxpayers
- World leaders gather for Mandela memorial
- Tearful Thai PM urges protesters to take part in polls
- Chinese 'spied on Europeans before G20 summit'
- Bitter cold, ice grip US East Coast
- EU scraps duty on jet fuel imports
- Tech giants call for more controls on surveillance
- Thai PM dissolves parliament, calls snap polls
- Arabs seek nuclear arms-free Middle East
- Anti-Russia protests rage in Ukraine, Stalin statue felled