World greets New Year with stunning fireworks
Sydney, December 31, 2011
A 12-minute pyrotechnic display of colour and light over Sydney Harbour ushered in the New Year at midnight, kicking off a string of celebrations for billions across the world.
More than 1.5 million people amassed over the biggest Australian city to witness shapes of clouds and hearts in the skies.
'Every year we make sure our celebrations are bigger and better than the one before,' Sydney Lord Mayor Clover Moore was quoted as saying by agencies.
The festivities to welcome the new year will run from Hong Kong’s bustling harbour and Berlin's Brandenburg Gate to London’s River Thames and New York’s Times Square.
Tags: New Year |
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- US ‘does not recognize China's air defence zone’
- Brent edges over $111; eyes on US jobs data
- NELSON MANDELA HAS DIED
- Europe braces for deadly hurricane Xaver
- 11 killed in Iraq mall attack
- EU slaps $2.3bn fine on top banks
- US lawmakers worried over Iran's enrichment ability
- HK, Malaysia eye closer Islamic finance ties
- Hezbollah blames Israel for commander killing
- EPA fracking study could hurt energy boom