World greets New Year with stunning fireworks
Sydney, December 31, 2011
A 12-minute pyrotechnic display of colour and light over Sydney Harbour ushered in the New Year at midnight, kicking off a string of celebrations for billions across the world.
More than 1.5 million people amassed over the biggest Australian city to witness shapes of clouds and hearts in the skies.
'Every year we make sure our celebrations are bigger and better than the one before,' Sydney Lord Mayor Clover Moore was quoted as saying by agencies.
The festivities to welcome the new year will run from Hong Kong’s bustling harbour and Berlin's Brandenburg Gate to London’s River Thames and New York’s Times Square.
Tags: New Year |
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- World Bank watching Fed, ready to respond
- Blast hits Syrian port of Latakia
- Asian business sentiment upbeat in Q2, says survey
- Lebanese minister accuses Syria of 'ethnic cleansing'
- US to meet Taliban to seek Afghan peace
- Taliban 'ready for Afghan peace talks'
- Assad says Europe will "pay price" if it arms rebels
- Putin faces isolation over Syria as G8 ups pressure
- US right to arm Syrian rebels, says Israeli president
- Putin, Obama face off over Syria issue