Syria deaths from Latakia offensive rise to 21
Amman, August 14, 2011
A Syrian tank and navy assault on the port city of Latakia to crush demonstrations against President Bashar Al-Assad killed at least 21 civilians on Sunday, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
The Observatory said most of the casualties, including tens of wounded, were from big calibre machineguns fired from tanks on southern quarters of the city, which were also hit by Navy vessels.
The Syrian Revolution Coordinating Union said it had the names of 19 people killed. – Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- Gold extends losses on firm dollar
- Qatar fund to invest $500m in Russia's VTB
- Israel fires back at Syria after troops targeted
- Monster tornado kills 51 in Oklahoma town
- Over 60 killed in Iraq car bombings
- Netanyahu hints at further strikes in Syria
- $590m jackpot winning ticket sold in Florida
- Texas joins flood of states suing BP
- Switzerland close to deal in US tax dispute
- Israel warns against Russia arms supply to Syria