Syria deaths from Latakia offensive rise to 21
Amman, August 14, 2011
A Syrian tank and navy assault on the port city of Latakia to crush demonstrations against President Bashar Al-Assad killed at least 21 civilians on Sunday, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
The Observatory said most of the casualties, including tens of wounded, were from big calibre machineguns fired from tanks on southern quarters of the city, which were also hit by Navy vessels.
The Syrian Revolution Coordinating Union said it had the names of 19 people killed. – Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- SAfricans remember Mandela with praise, prayers
- UN inspectors visit key Iran nuke site
- Ice storm causes blackouts, flight delays in US
- Ruling Congress party punished in India polls
- US proposes annual GCC defence summit
- Iran eyes better UAE ties after nuke deal
- Blatter calls for calm over Qatar 2022 problems
- German factory orders fall 2 per cent
- US upbeat as jobless rate hits five-year low
- US ‘does not recognize China's air defence zone’