France trusts US to get out of tough period
Paris, August 6, 2011
France has faith in the ability of the US to get out of this "difficult period" and it is too early to say if a G7 meeting will be brought forward, Finance Minister Francois Baroin told French iTele on Saturday.
Reacting to the downgrading of the US’ credit rating by Standard & Poor's, Baroin said: "France for its part... has complete faith in the solidity of the US economy.
"The unemployment numbers published yesterday showed a positive shift, better than expected, so it is going in the right direction," he added.
Baroin recalled that under President Bill Clinton, the US had defaulted on its debt payments for a few days.
"Therefore, one should not dramatise, one needs to remain cool-headed, one should look at the fundamentals." – Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- Gold extends losses on firm dollar
- Qatar fund to invest $500m in Russia's VTB
- Israel fires back at Syria after troops targeted
- Monster tornado kills 51 in Oklahoma town
- Over 60 killed in Iraq car bombings
- Netanyahu hints at further strikes in Syria
- $590m jackpot winning ticket sold in Florida
- Texas joins flood of states suing BP
- Switzerland close to deal in US tax dispute
- Israel warns against Russia arms supply to Syria