China braces for typhoon, 200,000 evacuated
Shanghai, August 6, 2011
Chinese authorities evacuated more than 200,000 residents from eastern Zhejiang province and cancelled more than 200 flights, as the region braced itself for a typhoon that could be the worst in the area in years.
Typhoon Muifa was due to hit China's eastern seaboard this weekend packing winds up to 45 metres a second (100 mph). News of the typhoon prompted the suspension of operations at several oil, dry bulk and container ports in the area on Friday.
Shanghai cancelled 75 afternoon flights, Hangzhou cancelled 140 flights and Air China cancelled all inbound and outbound flights, the official Xinhua news agency reported.
China's National Marine Environmental Forecasting Centre issued a red alert for waves up to 10 metres (33 feet) high in the east China sea.
More than 10 fishing boats with about 200 people on board were missing off China's east coast on Saturday morning, Xinhua reported, though it was unclear if those incidents were related to the typhoon.
Typhoon Muifa will likely land in Zhejiang Province or Shanghai during the weekend and Zhejiang officials have evacuated 206,664 people from coastal areas.
China's meteorological authorities said on Saturday that the typhoon would bring heavy rains to coastal regions. – Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- First bitcoin machine opens in UK
- US sanctions will boomerang, warns Russia
- China plans $50bn bank to fund projects
- Sony to sell Tokyo 'birthplace'
- Obama orders sanctions over Russian moves
- Crimea parliament votes to join Russia
- Arab League to be revamped
- 'Upskirting' is legal: Massachusetts court
- Singapore probes 'unnatural' death of bitcoin trader
- Onus on world powers for Syria war crimes: UN
- US, Russia set for talks on Ukraine crisis
- Brent oil drops below $109
- Services outshine manufacturing, pushing up jobs
- Bitcoin bank shut down after hacker attack
- India to kick off world's biggest poll on April 7
- China signals focus on reforms
- Hundreds ready for bitcoin exchange class action
- Space taxi, Jupiter mission in Obama budget
- Putin: Use of force last resort in Ukraine
- Powers to boost Lebanese military, economy
- Egypt bans Hamas activities in Egypt
- Putin ends army exercise, markets rally
- Russia has violated international law: Obama
- Russian markets hit as Putin tightens grip on Crimea
- Iran nuclear deal 'being implemented as planned'
- Global factory growth stumbles as demand falters
- Obama warns of 'fallout' for Israel if peace effort fails
- Ukraine mobilises after Putin's 'declaration of war'
- Oil jumps $2 over Ukraine tension
- US threatens to isolate Russia for Ukraine aggression