William, Kate to be Duke and Duchess of Cambridge
London, April 29, 2011
Kate Middleton will be given the title Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge when she marries Britain's Prince William on Friday, Buckingham Palace said in a statement.
Queen Elizabeth made her grandson William the Duke of Cambridge to mark the marriage of the second-in-line to the throne. Being a duke is the highest rank below that of monarch in the British nobility.
William, 28, will also have the additional title Earl of Strathearn and Baron Carrickfergus.
The monarch traditionally awards honours to members of the royal family on their wedding day. William's uncles were both given titles. Prince Andrew became the Duke of York and Prince Edward was made Earl of Wessex when he married.
It had been expected that William would be awarded the Cambridge title, since there were some negative links with other vacant royal dukedoms and the queen heightened speculation with a visit to Cambridge this week.
There have been royal connections with Cambridge since medieval times and the Dukedom was bestowed on the future George II in 1706. However, the title became extinct in 1904.
Strathearn, a Scottish title, has had royal connections since 1357, and is a nod to the fact the couple met at St Andrews University on Scotland's east coast.
Carrickfergus, the oldest town in County Antrim in Northern Ireland and boasting one of the best-preserved castles in Ireland, has not had a barony since 1883.-Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- Military denies lost plane's flight to Malacca
- Investors monitoring Pimco after internal strife
- N Korea tanker ‘leaves Libya rebel port carrying oil’
- Malaysia plane incident not terror related: Interpol
- Crimea closes air space to commercial flights
- Missing Malaysian plane last seen At Malacca Strait
- Stolen passport holder on missing plane is Iranian
- China deploys 10 satellites to search for Malaysia jet
- Libya says halts tanker outside port; rebels deny it
- Libya orders military force to 'liberate' ports
- Big bananas: Chiquita, Fyffes merge
- Radar sweeps, dozens of aircraft, but no sign of plane
- N Korea tanker loads oil at Libya rebel port
- Gold drops as US growth optimism weighs
- Merkel raps Putin; Russia tightens grip on Crimea
- World 'at sea' over missing Malaysian jetliner
- Passports requiring probe were on Malaysia flight
- 40 killed in Yemen as Houthi fighters near capital
- Vietnam finds object in sea; search on
- $5bn poll spend to boost India economy
- Libya authorises use of force against Korean tanker
- Ukraine PM says he will go to US to discuss crisis
- Syrian journalist killed covering fighting
- Malaysian jet may have turned back before vanishing
- No sign of missing plane; Malaysia probes false passports
- Two Europeans not on board 'missing' Malaysian jet
- China draws red line on North Korea
- Saudi sentences three to death for 2003 bombing
- First bitcoin machine opens in UK
- US sanctions will boomerang, warns Russia