Rafsanjani daughter detained during protest
Tehran, June 21, 2009
The daughter of former Iranian president Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, who is a rival of president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, was detained during an opposition rally in Tehran on Saturday, an Iranian news agency said on Sunday.
Fars News Agency, citing a security official, said Faezeh Rafsanjani and some other relatives had attended the protest and were detained in order to "preserve their security from terror acts of rioters."
It said they were transferred to the nearest military base and were kept there until the end of the unrest, suggesting they had been released. Last week, the same news agency said Faezeh and her brother Mehdi had been barred from leaving Iran.
Faezeh addressed supporters of defeated presidential candidate Mirhossein Mousavi last Tuesday when they gathered near the state television building in Tehran in defiance of a ban on opposition protests.
Rafsanjani, who remains a powerful figure in Iran, supported Mousavi in the June 12 election. Official results showed Ahmadinejad won by a landslide but Mousavi says the vote was rigged, a charge the authorities reject.
Rafsanjani reacted furiously when Ahmadinejad accused him on television of corruption, publicly urging Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei to rein in the president.-Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- Obama orders sanctions over Russian moves
- Crimea parliament votes to join Russia
- Arab League to be revamped
- 'Upskirting' is legal: Massachusetts court
- Singapore probes 'unnatural' death of bitcoin trader
- Onus on world powers for Syria war crimes: UN
- US, Russia set for talks on Ukraine crisis
- Brent oil drops below $109
- Services outshine manufacturing, pushing up jobs
- Bitcoin bank shut down after hacker attack
- India to kick off world's biggest poll on April 7
- China signals focus on reforms
- Hundreds ready for bitcoin exchange class action
- Space taxi, Jupiter mission in Obama budget
- Putin: Use of force last resort in Ukraine
- Powers to boost Lebanese military, economy
- Egypt bans Hamas activities in Egypt
- Putin ends army exercise, markets rally
- Russia has violated international law: Obama
- Russian markets hit as Putin tightens grip on Crimea
- Iran nuclear deal 'being implemented as planned'
- Global factory growth stumbles as demand falters
- Obama warns of 'fallout' for Israel if peace effort fails
- Ukraine mobilises after Putin's 'declaration of war'
- Oil jumps $2 over Ukraine tension
- US threatens to isolate Russia for Ukraine aggression
- Ukraine mobilises for war, calls up reserves
- Berkshire net profit surges 31pc
- China blames militants for deadly station attack
- Beginning of war? Putin ready to invade Ukraine