13 killed in India train blaze
Hyderabad, August 1, 2008
At least 13 people were killed when a fire believed to have been sparked by a short circuit spread through a train in Andhra Pradesh early on Friday while many passengers were asleep, police said.
Five coaches of the Gautami Express, which was travelling from Hyderabad to Kakinada on the coast, were gutted in the massive pre-dawn fire.
Railway officials have ruled out sabotage and said the fire was apparently caused by a short circuit.
Rescue workers had difficulty reaching the accident site, which was inaccessible by road. Darkness hampered the rescue work.-Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- UK police ponder conspiracy after soldier murder
- Truck strike may have caused US bridge collapse
- Icahn seeks up to $7bn for Dell bid
- London attacker British, of Nigerian origin
- Thousands of Hezbollah fighters in Syria: Kerry
- Swiss banks fear heavy fines in US tax deal
- Oil slips towards $103 on US demand worries
- US senate backs arming Syrian rebels
- Home Depot net income hits $1.2bn
- EU regulators to cap bankers' bonuses