13 killed in India train blaze
Hyderabad, August 1, 2008
At least 13 people were killed when a fire believed to have been sparked by a short circuit spread through a train in Andhra Pradesh early on Friday while many passengers were asleep, police said.
Five coaches of the Gautami Express, which was travelling from Hyderabad to Kakinada on the coast, were gutted in the massive pre-dawn fire.
Railway officials have ruled out sabotage and said the fire was apparently caused by a short circuit.
Rescue workers had difficulty reaching the accident site, which was inaccessible by road. Darkness hampered the rescue work.-Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- US exits GM stake in $10bn loss for taxpayers
- World leaders gather for Mandela memorial
- Tearful Thai PM urges protesters to take part in polls
- Chinese 'spied on Europeans before G20 summit'
- Bitter cold, ice grip US East Coast
- EU scraps duty on jet fuel imports
- Tech giants call for more controls on surveillance
- Thai PM dissolves parliament, calls snap polls
- Arabs seek nuclear arms-free Middle East
- Anti-Russia protests rage in Ukraine, Stalin statue felled