Rice tells Israel to avoid Gaza crisis
Berlin, January 22, 2008
US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said on Tuesday she had spoken to the Israelis and urged them to avert a humanitarian crisis in Gaza where Israel implemented a blockade on fuel and electricity.
'Nobody wants innocent Gazans to suffer and so we have spoken to the Israelis about the importance of not allowing a humanitarian crisis to unfold there,' Rice told reporters travelling with her to Berlin for a meeting on Iran.
Rice said ultimately Hamas was to blame for the situation in Gaza. She said the Israelis were dealing with an 'intolerable' situation, with the firing of rockets into the Jewish homeland, and the anxiety and terror that came with that.
She said there needed to be creative solutions to the problem and referred to the quartet's suggestion of allowing the Palestinian Authority to play a greater role at the crossings.
Israel eased its blockade on Tuesday, resuming fuel supplies to the Gaza Strip's main power plant.
The shipment included at least three days' worth of European Union-funded fuel for the generating plant which shut down on Sunday after Israel sealed border crossings in what it termed a response to Palestinian cross-border rocket attacks.
Egypt had also urged Israel to lift the blockade and warned of the deteriorating humanitarian situation in the coastal strip.-Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- China plans $50bn bank to fund projects
- Sony to sell Tokyo 'birthplace'
- Obama orders sanctions over Russian moves
- Crimea parliament votes to join Russia
- Arab League to be revamped
- 'Upskirting' is legal: Massachusetts court
- Singapore probes 'unnatural' death of bitcoin trader
- Onus on world powers for Syria war crimes: UN
- US, Russia set for talks on Ukraine crisis
- Brent oil drops below $109
- Services outshine manufacturing, pushing up jobs
- Bitcoin bank shut down after hacker attack
- India to kick off world's biggest poll on April 7
- China signals focus on reforms
- Hundreds ready for bitcoin exchange class action
- Space taxi, Jupiter mission in Obama budget
- Putin: Use of force last resort in Ukraine
- Powers to boost Lebanese military, economy
- Egypt bans Hamas activities in Egypt
- Putin ends army exercise, markets rally
- Russia has violated international law: Obama
- Russian markets hit as Putin tightens grip on Crimea
- Iran nuclear deal 'being implemented as planned'
- Global factory growth stumbles as demand falters
- Obama warns of 'fallout' for Israel if peace effort fails
- Ukraine mobilises after Putin's 'declaration of war'
- Oil jumps $2 over Ukraine tension
- US threatens to isolate Russia for Ukraine aggression
- Ukraine mobilises for war, calls up reserves
- Berkshire net profit surges 31pc