Al Ghurair Iron & Steel hits production milestone
Abu Dhabi, October 10, 2013
Abu Dhabi-based Al Ghurair Iron & Steel (Agis), a JV between the Al Ghurair Group and Japan's Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Corporation, reached a major milestone with an output of 1 million tonnes of flat steel products in five years.
The company achieved the milestone on its continuous galvanising line on Wednesday (October 9) at its UAE-based complex, said a statement from the company.
Within a record time, Agis produced a million tonne each in its pickling line, cold rolling mill and galvanising line. Production at the greenfield Abu Dhabi facility began in September 2008 and the lines have been in continuous production since, it added.
CEO Abu Bucker Husain attributed the performance to the strong economies of the region and excellent support by the ZonesCorp and Abu Dhabi Government to non-oil based industries.
"Despite starting our operations at the peak of the global economic crisis, we managed to do well on the strength of the quality of our products. In the very first year we reached 100 per cent capacity utilization of the plant," remarked Husain.
Husain said Al Ghurair Iron & Steel was the first and the only flat steel cold rolling and galvanising complex in the UAE.
"Currently, we are producing a little over the installed capacity. UAE has been able to rebound better than most other economies after the economic crisis and the construction industry is buoyant after the latest announcements of various developmental projects," he stated.
Agis has ordered for new equipment to expand the production capacities at the existing location and the commissioning is scheduled for early 2015, said the UAE firm in its statement.
Tenders for the civil works have been floated and work on the ground is scheduled to commence before the end of this year, it added.
“In addition to commissioning a new continuous galvanising line to increase the total output capacity, a skin pass mill is also being added to the existing line in order to boost the product basket. AGIS plans to provide the substrate steel sheets to the prepainting & colour coating lines in the region,” he added.-TradeArabia News Service
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- Flare, Jordan form parent company ‘Aereon’
- Drydocks delivers second MCV for US
- ASIS launches amphibious leisure boat
- Taskforce sought to develop Saudi downstream sector
- DP World launches $200m India project
- RAK 'exploring' ceramics unit stake sale
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- DMCA launches maritime solution apps
- Saudi plans oil-to-chemicals plant at Yanbu
- Sabic gets four bids for JV with Mitsubishi Rayon
- Pentair, IDC launch industrial services JV
- Major maritime conference to be held in Dubai
- GPIC wins key IFA certification
- Gulf rules must aid e-commerce: Aramex
- Gulftainer expands 2013 ops by 50pc
- DMCA to take part in Dubai boat show
- Al Namal to launch eco-friendly chillers
- Abu Dhabi city ports to receive facelift
- Kuwait Styrene posts $180m net profit
- Drydocks set for key energy event
- Aramex launches new address check system
- Toshiba in green push at Bahrain expo
- Equate net profit surges 14pc to $1.2bn
- Shaikh Daij named new Alba chairman
- Al Abbas wins logistics rights to Sudan
- Milaha profits jump 14pc to top $260m
- BIC, Al Zayani renew partnership
- Dubai Metro to open 2 stations Saturday
- Top petchem firms back UAE plastics events
- DGCX, China’s DCE launch plastics futures