Oman Shipping inks $356m loan for ore carriers
Muscat, October 9, 2013
Oman Shipping Company has signed a RO137 million ($355.8 million) loan with two local banks to fund the acquisition of four Very Large Ore Carriers (VLOCs), it said in a statement.
The VLOCs will be chartered to Vale International for a period of 20 years, the statement said, adding Vale had iron ore pelletising facilities in the sultanate with a capacity of 9 million tonnes per year - with exports going to South Asia.
The facility, which has a 12-year lifespan, saw Bank Muscat contribute RO107 million and Bank Dhofar provide RO30 million.
The VLOCs each have a capacity of 400,000 deadweight tonnes (DWT), which make them among the largest dry cargo vessels in the world, the statement added.-Reuters
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- Johnson Controls, Hitachi in AC venture
- OICT installs nextgen cranes at Sohar Port
- Saudi petchem giants eye share-swap merger in 2014
- Expo focus on UAE manufacturing sector
- Abu Dhabi port sets container throughput record
- Alba unit to mark HSE week
- Mideast air freight growth up 12.3pc
- Tycoon Sawiris announces $1bn Egypt investment
- Drydocks to build giant jack-up rigs in Dubai
- iMENA unveils big Saudi investment plans